For the purposes of this privacy notice, The Bike Shed (also referred to as ‘we’, ‘our’ and ‘us’) will be the organisation acting as the Data Controller. The individual (to be referred to as ‘you’ and ‘your’) is the person(s) whose data is being collected and processed.
The Bike Shed is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. Should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified, you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement.
The Bike Shed may change this policy at any time by updating this page. So it is recommended that you check this page regularly to ensure that you are happy with any changes. You will not be notified of any change as it’s made. This policy is effective from May 2018.
HOW WE USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
When you shop with us, we require certain information from yourself in order to provide the goods and services for which you're paying. The contractual necessity is our lawful basis for processing this information.
The information we gather, and how we use it is outlined below.
Title, name, phone number, address, email address
- To deliver online orders
- To provide customer service in relation to said orders
- At your request, to notify when an item becomes available
- To send promotional emails (if you choose to opt in)
- To perform fraud prevention checks
- To contact you in the event of a product recall
- To take payment or provide refunds where necessary
- To perform fraud prevention checks
Your behaviour, including your purchase history and browsing history
- To fulfull orders
- To deliver targeted adverts elsewhere online
- To send releant promotional emails (if you choose to opt in)
Lawful basis for processing personal data
We process data for the purposes of contractual necessity:
- To process and fulfill an order placed by a customer.
We also store and process personal data indefinitely for the purposes of an individual’s vital interests:
- Should a product be recalled by a manufacturer, we keep a record of sales history so that we can notify the affected individuals.
- We also keep a record of all bicycles’ unique frame numbers in connection to its associated customer. Should a bicycle be recalled or repaired under warranty, this frame number enables us to record the work has been undertaken on a specific bicycle. Additionally, should a bicycle be stolen, we can assist with its recovery by providing the police with proof of ownership.
We will also process personal data for the purposes of an individual’s legitimate interests:
- To improve our products and services.
- To send promotional emails about new products, events, special offers or other information which we think the individual may find interesting using the email address provided. Only individuals that have opted in to receive these emails will benefit from this service. These emails can be opted out of at any time.
SHARING YOUR INFORMATION
We will never sell, distribute or lease your data to any third party. In order to fulfil orders and provide you with a highly personal level of service, we do share your data with the following data controllers:
- Our delivery partners: Royal Mail, Parcelforce and DPD.
- Our payment gateway providers: Paypal and Sagepay.
- V12 Retail Finance, who we use to offer our customers monthly payment plans.
- Companies who administer the Cycle To Work Scheme, allowing customers to purchase a bike via through their employer in order to reduce income tax.
- Our email marketing service provider: Mailer Lite (if you choose to opt in).
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
A cookie is a small file which asks permission to be placed on your computer's hard drive. Once you agree, the file is added and the cookie helps analyse web traffic or lets you know when you visit a particular site. Cookies allow web applications to respond to you as an individual. The web application can tailor its operations to your needs, likes and dislikes by gathering and remembering information about your preferences.
We use traffic log cookies to identify which pages are being used. This helps us analyse data about web page traffic and improve our website in order to tailor it to customer needs. We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes and then the data is removed from the system.
Overall, cookies help us provide you with a better website, by enabling us to monitor which pages you find useful and which you do not. A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us.
You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. This may prevent you from taking full advantage of the website.
Links to other websites
Our website may contain links to other websites of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
Controlling your personal information
We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties ever, in any circumstance. We may use your personal information to send you promotional information about third parties which we think you may find interesting if you tell us that you wish this to happen.
Right of access
You may request details of personal information which we hold about you under the General Data Protection Regulation 2018. If you would like a copy of the information held on you please write to Data Controller, The Bike Shed, Union Road, Crediton, EX17 3AW.
If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please write to or email us as soon as possible, at the above address. We will promptly correct any information found to be incorrect.
Right to be forgotten
Under the General Data Protection Regulation 2018, you have the right to request that all personal information held by Bike Shed about you is forgotten. This is not merely a removal from a mailing list, rather a complete removal of all data held by us, including your purchase history and unique bicycle frame number(s). If you would like to exercise your right to be forgotten, please write to Data Controller, The Bike Shed, Union Road, Crediton, EX17 3AW.